[SunHELP] Urgent ! - VLAN 802.1q

James sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed May 23 05:26:57 CDT 2001

Just what do you think VLANs will do for you?

Don't be in a rush to use every feature offered by the switch.

VLANs require a router to pass traffic between VLANs (a HUGE bottleneck
unless you can afford big monster routers or layer 3 switches). 802.1q is
a trunking protocol allowing multiple VLANs on a single wire (sometimes a
good way to connect the afore mentioned router to the switch).

I have done 802.1q with HockeyPUX, but it was a very unique situation
where it was needed.

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!