[SunHELP] help! SUNWmdr - metadb and Solaris 2.8 April 2001 failing!

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue May 22 11:15:48 CDT 2001

On Tue, 22 May 2001, Foong, Tzeweng wrote:

| Hello There,
|
| We are trying to roll out installation of Solaris 8 April 2001 release. and
| we
| seem to be having problems running the metadb -a -f command to create the
| admin database. We have jumpstart script that were running with the
| Solaris 8 March 2000 release. however as that release does not work with
| the new netra and other new hardware and that why we are using the
| new Solaris 8 April 2001 release.
|
| It may be because that the package install is broken?
| The package installation does not seem to be updating anything in
| etc/system

The installation of and if the SUNWmd* packages makes no immediate changes
to /etc/system. Changes to /etc/system are made by the utilities (such as
metadb, metainit, and metaroot) as they are ran.

| when it comes to run the metadb -a -f .... command it says that it cannot
| create the /dev/md/admin device

Try running devfsadm, then making the meta db's. My hunch is that you
didnt reboot after the installation of the DiskSuite utilities. If that's
the case, running devfsadm will make the new /dev/md tree for you.

/dale