[SunHELP] What am I missing... (SS/5 Solaris install won't boot after install)

Ken Hansen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat May 19 12:20:31 CDT 2001

So, I'm sitting here, trying to get an SS/5-110 ready to ship, and I'm
trying to install an OS (Solaris 7), but after the install completes, I get
the following - any ideas?

    Rebooting with command:
    Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma at 5,8400000/esp at 5,8800000/sd at 3,0    File
and args:
    bootblk: can't find the boot program
    Program terminated
    Type help for more information
    ok

WTF? I've installed Solaris dozens of times and never saw an error like
this...

The drive is internal, in the lower slot, and probe-scsi, test disk, all
return normal responses.

After getting the same result with two different drives, I tried a
set-default command at the ok prompt, but it still will not boot. What is it
looking for? How did it get in this state? The machine had Red Hat Linux 5.2
on it previously, but anything left in the NVCRAM from Linux should have
been wiped by the set-default command?

Any thoughts/ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ken