[SunHELP] Flat panel experiences?

John Duksta sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon May 14 08:04:31 CDT 2001

At 03:02 PM 5/11/2001 -0500, Bruce Pullig wrote:
>I'm planning on replacing my 17" (15.5" visible) monitor with a 15"
>(15.0" visible) flat panel monitor.   Does anyone have any good or bad
>experiences with non-Sun flat panels on Sun Ultra 5 or Sun Ultra 10?
>I'm planning on getting a Samsung 15" ($449) from Best Buy, unless
>someone knows a cheaper source. (Contact me off list!)
>
>My Specs:
>Ultra 10 with Solaris 8 and onboard graphics at 1024x768x75.

Bruce,

I haven't hooked either of my panels up to a Sun yet, but I can't
imagine that you'd have any problems doing so with a U10. The
video signals that come off them is pretty standard.

One thing to note, you may find that things will look better on
the panel if you set your refresh rate to 60Hz, which is the
native speed at which most panels run. Fear not, it won't look
flickery, as panels don't scan like CRT's do.

I've got a pair of panels here at home, both from Princeton
Graphics. I've got a SENergy 750 for me and a SENergy 560
for my wife. They're a bit more pricey than others, but I
wanted to future proof a bit by making sure that I had the
option to use DVI-I when I get around to getting video cards
that have that option.

-john