[SunHELP] Metastat/metasync question

Ben Ricker sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue May 1 15:24:49 CDT 2001

I have a DiskSuite mirror of a drive. I did a 'metastat -i' on it after
about 3 weeks of forgetting about it and all the disks were showing
'Need Maintenance'. I searched Sunsolv and the solution for this is:

The "metasync -r" command is not getting executed when the system boots.

This command is normally executed in the /etc/rc.local script. This entry is
placed in rc.local by the "metarc" command.

If the "metasync -r" command is missing from the /etc/rc.local script, run
the /usr/etc/metarc script to create the proper entry.
I ran metasync -r and after a second or two the prompt came back. Lo and
behold, states are now Ok for all mirrors. However, the metarc command
does not exist. Should I just run metasync through cron since I hardly
ever reboot the machine or set it up through init scripts? If init
scripts, then which one exactly? I have my system paired down to almost
nothing init script wise.

How do other people metasync their mirrors on a regular basis? How often
do you do it?

Ben Ricker
System Administrator
Wellinx.com