[SunHELP] Connect two Intel Solaris machine together.

James Fogg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 29 09:14:34 CDT 2001

Very simple to do.
Build a crossover cable (this has been covered before).

rj45pins		cable		rj45pins
1				3
2				6
3				1
6				2

other pins dont matter. Pins 1+2 must use a twisted pair, such as the
orange/white pair. Pins 3+6 must use a twisted pair, like the green/white pair.
These colors are the standard color codes for cat5 cable. Hold the rj45's with
the locking tab down and the pins pointed away from you and the pins count
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 left to right.

If you want to use a standard cat5 cable as the starting point, cut one rj45
off the cable. Get a new rj45 and use the orange/white wire for pin 3, the
orange wire for pin 6, the green/white wire for pin 1 and the green wire for
pin 2.

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if I can use a UTP(RJ45) cable to connect my two intel
> Solaris machines together without using a hub. Or can I use a Coaxial cable
> with two terminators on the other end T-connector. It seems to me that UTP
> uses the power supply on the hub, is it right? Please suggest me a way to
> connect those machines without using a hub. Thanks a lot!
>
> Andrew

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!