[SunHELP] Testing a Sparc 20

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 29 03:52:16 CDT 2001

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Bran Tregare wrote:

> The circuit board in this sparc 20 has a bear in a top hat on it, does that
> help id it any?

All of them are like this (the code name for the SS20 was "Kodiak").

If you jumper pins 1 and 2 of J1401, you will force the Mbus to 40MHz.  In
the default setting (40/50MHz) it will attempt to autodetect the bus
speed.  This will probably work (though I've never tried it with an SM30),
you can type "module-info" at the OK prompt to see information on bus and
processor speeds.

> I know that the SM30 is running outside spec, but after asking a few
> questions around, apparemtly the SM 30 and SM40 are the same chip and
> circuitboard everything on both are identical, other than the differing
> barcodes that sun put on them. According to a tech in Sun's support group
> they are the same cpu, just differing barcodes.

The SM20 and SM30 (33MHz and 36MHz) were released by Sun because TI was
having trouble getting enough SuperSparc chips produced that ran at 40MHz.
Though the modules are identical your processor may not have passed all
tests at 40MHz and you may encounter problems.

-James [still searching for cool employment with cool people, anywhere]