AW: [SunHELP] Installation of Solaris 8

Moritz Schmitt sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 01:42:23 CDT 2001

First of all: I assume that 'prince prince' is not you real name. If my
assumption is correct it would be nice if you could change it.

c0t0d0s0 describes your hard disk:

c0	Logical Controller Number
t0	Physical Bus Target ID
d0	Drive Number
s0	Slice (a slice under Solaris is like a partition under Windows/DOS)

What do you mean by 'how do I see the CDE on the desktop'? Open your eyes
and check if your monitor is switched on ;-)

Don't wory about formatting the disk, the installer will ask you early
enough. The file system under Solaris is not FAT but UFS. But it also
supports FAT, VXFS and S5 as far as I know.

It seems to be that you are new to Unix too. Why don't you first try a Linux
system like SuSE, RedHat or Mandrake. They are easy to install and all
programs are included. Later on you still could switch to Solaris.

-Moritz