[SunHELP] Installing Samba

Kurt Huhn sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 21:33:23 CDT 2001

Samba is a SMB/CIFS server for Linux.  SMB/CIFS operates on port 39
initially, then is somewhat dynamic after the connection has been made.  By
changing the port to 500, you make it impossible for windows clients to
connect via "native" browsing.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to accomlish - SMB/CIFS is
*not* HTTP.  No wonder your browser isn't connecting, there's no way it
would!!

Samba lets you share files from your Linux/Unix computer to Windows clients.
This sharing is *not* accessed through a web browser - it is accessed
(typically) through the Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer or
Netscape).

To be able to access files files shared via samba, from a windows client,
you need to reset the.......oh crap - follow this link:
http://www.dhs.org/pipermail/systalk/1999-May/006462.html

Yeah - it's not totaly complete for all facets of Samba.  However once a
default Samba install is created that how-to will help you set Samaba to
accept the default encrypted passwords from your WinNT/2000 and Win98
workstation.  <shamless plug> If you need to know more, might I suggest
Special Edition: Using KDE from Que Books - authored by Nicholas Wells, with
Samba chapters written by your's truly. </shameless plug>.

In all seriousness, it sounds like you need to do a little reading to see
what it is that Samba actually *does* do.

Kurt