[SunHELP] console servers

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 08:50:22 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 01:10:00PM +0200, Kevin Maguire wrote:

> modems, etc).  We did a test install of conserver (www.conserver.com)
> on Linux which worked OK, but I think I'd prefer a hardware based
> system, though I'm not sure why I think that :-)

you think that because that is the right thing to think.  when all your servers
are going down, the last thing you need to worry about is will your terminal
server work or not.  if you can't trust your terminal server you may as well
not even bother getting one.  don't worry about funky features like remote
power on/off, since with the Suns a break is generally all you need.  if you
need more than that (the prom is wedged) you've got big troubles anyway and
it would behoove you to get your butt on site anyway (that's *MY* opinion) and
with some of the new lights out proms that some of the suns have, you can even
recover from that situation (do any of the non-netra boxes have that yet? they
should) rather gracefully from a remote location.

i've used xyplex terminal servers with great success, although keep in mind
that the new ones are very expensive (anywhere from $2000-$4000) although you
could pick up a couple older ones from Mike N. for cheap, and those should do
you just fine.

i've used those multiport serial cards that go in cisco routers, and i highly
recommend avoiding them at all costs.  they were nothing but a giant pain in
the ass.  i think cisco makes very fine network equipment, but their terminal
server solution leave a LOT to be desired.

anyway, just a little bit from me.

-brian