[SunHELP] I got a new ultra mainboard and now X won't start :(

Bran Tregare sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 14 18:19:28 CDT 2001

failed fan on the heatsink, i had to run box open using a case fan from a
sacrificial PeeCee clone to keep CPU cool enough so as not to damage it.
worked great but made it hard to place computer where it needed to go.

James lockwood passed the info on to me

 > please tell me more about this FCO... I jsut got an ultra 1 143 and the fan
 > was pulled by the previous owner because it fried. i'm running a 3 ish
 > inch case fan blowing on the cpu, tied to the CD-ROM power cable (split
 > off) and I know where there is a bunch of ultra 1 170's that are thermal
 > exceptioning due to fan failures in them :)

Call Sun Customer Care (I think it's 800-872-4786). Tell them you are
referencing FCO #A0089-1 and have the serial numbers of your boards handy.
They should swap the boards out, no questions asked. I did this with a
board last year and it was a snap.