[SunHELP] Problems switching from software to hardware RAID

Steffen Grunewald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 12 03:06:07 CDT 2001

Hello all,

I'm running into severe trouble here, perhaps someone has an idea what=20
to do next.
Situation:
Workstation Ultra-2, equipped with JNI FC adapter (1063). In the loop
(among others) : a hardware controller (EonRaid 2000 by Infortrend),
several Seagate disks 9, 17, 50 and 73 GB each.
Working setup:
8*50 GB running as software RAID, twice 7*9 GB connected to HW controller.
If I disconnected the 50 GB disks from the main loop and attached them to
the hardware controller's loop, they would break after some hours, the
whole port of the ctlr goes nuts. Finally, I had the firmware of the disk=
upgraded to rev. 0004, so the disks are stable - but if I build a RAID5
across them and create a file system, data will get corrupted:
If I copy data over from a SW RAID area and perform a recursive diff
afterwards, some files show up "binary files differ". Of course if I
repeat the diff command with those selected files, everything looks fine.

This only happens on the raid volume mentioned, AFAICT.

Looks like buffer corruption in the OS... Solaris 2.6, recommended
patches - and there are other file systems of similar size not showing
the problem (but on different disks and managed by VXVM).

The controller's FW rev is 3.12R, Bootrecord 1.12C, if that helps.
--=20
 Steffen Grunewald | GFZ | PB 2.2 | Telegrafenberg E3 | D-14473 Potsdam
 =BB email: steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de | fax/fon: +49-331-288-1266/-1245 =AB
           The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.
              The goal of nature is to build better mice.