[SunHELP] SCSI question

Big Endian sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 7 15:48:52 CDT 2001

>Sorry for such a newbie question, but I haven't kept up with SCSI technology
>lately.....
>
>1) Can I use an ultra160 LVD/SE drive on an older controller (aka: SS5).
>Someone explained to me that the force-se jumper and force narrow allows this.
>Is this true?

Umm... it depends on the drive.  Some drives will autodetect.
Ultra160 is by nature LVD (differential) and wide(16bit).  The SS5
has narrow(8bit), single ended (non differential) scsi.  Since scsi
drives are made to be backwards compatible they will auto detect if
it is a differential connection or not.

>2) If the above is possible, are there adapters to take the 68 pin (SCA-like)
>connector to a 50 pin ribbon cable header.

You can get these adaptors, with or without termination for arround
$20/piece at your local computer supply shop.