[SunHELP] looking for backup ideas

Les sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 7 12:23:47 CDT 2001

It is USUALLY cheaper (licenses) to have one powerful backup server
with high bandwidth than 2 or more smaller ones. But, you lose
redundancy. How you do what you do depends on your company
philosophy and requirements.

You can gain in efficiency the extra you pay for software
to have multiple save streams coming from multiple servers
to one or two central backup servers.

I have not used Amanda, but if it allows you to do the same
I would take a serious look at it.

To the best of my knowledge, tar won't work that way no matter
how you configure the setup.

If you want to use tar for more than about a dozen servers
all I see is a maintenance nightmare unless each uses it's
own tape drive which is what you stated you were trying to
move away from.

I don't know what other answers can be given you than what has
already been said by the folks on the list.

Les