[SunHELP] Re: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #1054 - 15 msgs

David Ledger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 2 02:50:11 CDT 2001

>You can use tr command to do this task.
># for i in `ls /directory name`
># do
># echo $i
># tr '[A-Z]'[a-z]' $i
># done
>OR
># tr '[A-Z]'[a-z]' < filename

Fine for a one off fix, but if you're working with this all the time,
be aware that the ksh has a
'typeset -L <varname> (and -l <varname>)
One forces lowercase the other left justifies - man ksh for which one
is which; not on a Unix box at the moment so I can't check.
'typeset -U <varname>' (or '-u' - man ksh) forces uppercase.

typeset -L j
for i in 'ls /directory'; do
	j=$i
	echo $i $j