[SunHELP] Sparc 20 vs Sparc Server 20

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 18:24:45 CDT 2001

> I was confused because I bought a Sparc Server 20 on ebay but it does
> have an onboard frame buffer ( and a TGX). I guess the guy switched a
> cover or something.

There's no such thing as an "onboard framebuffer" on an SS20.  The
motherboard contains no video circuitry at all except for a monitor
connector.  All framebuffers are of the "plug in" variety: cg14 VSIMMs
(which enable the monitor connector and are complete framebuffers, not just
video ram) and SBus framebuffers.

Nothing prevents people from buying SPARCserver 20's and later plugging
in framebuffers; there's nothing wrong with a SPARCserver 20 with a
framebuffer or even a SPARCstation 20 without one.

-greg