[SunHELP] unmount / filesystem

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 07:38:12 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 01:38:53PM +0200, Low, Adam wrote:
> Yep, thats right, a Solaris box needs a file system to run the operating system, if you unmount that filesystem the operating system cant operate and therefore you need to boot from another device (CD/floppy/other drive) which has its own independent file system.

You can't unmount the root filesystem. Well, you can, using
kdb, but it'll mean a panic pretty damn quickly
(See PANIC!, the crash dump book...).

> To be honest I'm having trouble understanding why you would want to do this anyway ?

There's no good reason, afaik.

> > Yes, that is the safest and actually only way of doing it.

You could possibly lock the filesystem.

But it's trivial anyway, because there's no good reason to run
fsck when you're not booting the machine afaik. Why on earth
does the original poster want to run fsck while the system's
up? You can tell Solaris to panic if it suspects potential
file system corruption, if that's what you're really worried
about, thus forcing a fsck, actually, from reading
the mount_ufs manpage, that's what Solaris will do.

Brian.
--
Brian Scanlan, Systems Administrator.
Irish Times New Media - http://www.ireland.com