[SunHELP] logic

Doug McLaren sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 31 12:06:19 CST 2001

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 08:21:05PM -0500, Alan Rubin wrote:

| I have a group of users with user A being the supervisor.  I need to
| create user accounts on a server, but A needs to have access to all of his
| subordinates files, while allowing each user to otherwise be private.
| What is a good scheme to accomplish this?  User A can not be root.  I'm
| sure this is fairly simple, but I haven't worked out my plan yet and was
| just hoping to hear a few suggestions.

Alas, *nix file systems really don't do this sort of thing well.
(alas, NT *does* do this sort of thing well.)

Solaris 7 and newer supports ACL's which should allow it, but do be
aware that few people use ACL's under *nix.

If the files are on a remote AFS fileserver, I believe that AFS
supports the ACL's you'd need.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com
The face is familiar but i can't quite remember my name.  Oh, there it is.