[SunHELP] Re: [SunRescue] MX records in BIND

Dan Lane sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 30 03:44:17 CST 2001

AFAIK you just add some lines in your zone file
(eg: named.blah.com)... here is a very basic one from my DNS server:

@       IN      SOA     ns1.x11.net.    hostmaster.x11.net. (
                                        2001012305      ; serial
                                        28800           ; Refresh
                                        7200            ; Retry
                                        604800          ; Expire
                                        86400 )         ; Minimum TTL

                        NS      ns1.x11.net.
                        NS      ns2.x11.net.

                        MX      10 mail-relay.x11.net.

www                     IN      A       195.7.228.59

the relevent line is
                        MX      10 mail-relay.x11.net.

you can have multiple MX records, the higher the number the lower the
priority.. eg

                        MX      10 mail-relay01.x11.net.
                        MX      20 mail-relay02.x11.net.
                        MX      30 backup-relay.isp.com.

will cause the mail to go to 'mail-relay01.x11.net', however if
'mail-relay01.x11.net' is unavailable or not accepting mail it will go to
'mail-relay02.x11.net' and failing that 'backup-relay.isp.com'.

Regards,
Dan - who could very well be wrong!.. and is the sort of person who
forgets the 'dot' at the end of the line regularly :P

Paul Khoury sent the following on Mon, 29 Jan 2001...