[SunHELP] Sorta OT: Good Firewall

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 26 13:53:39 CST 2001

> Can anyone recommend a good firewall?  Everyone at work insists I should get
> a firewall
> for home use, but I still need telnet and ftp access until I can get a copy
> of ssh that works.
> I think I was using 1.2.7 before.
>
> I was planning on running on a 486DX4-75 with 24MB of RAM, as I didn't
> think a firewall should need more.  Or would it?

i've been running IPFILTER under Solaris 8 on a SPARCstation 5 for months now
and it has been fantastic.  70Mhz microSPARC-II CPU, 160MB RAM.  it doesn't
need that much memory, the sparc5 used to be my workstation, and i don't
have anything else that can use that goofy memory, so it stays where it is.

as far as interfaces go:

le0: hooked to an ADSL bridge (1.5Mbps/384Kpbs)
le1: hooked to a 100/10 switch (soon to be swapped out with an hme card)
le2: hooked to an AUI MAU
nf0: SAS connected to a 3Com LinkBuilder FDDI Hub

there is a fair amount of traffic passing between these four networks, and the
sparc5 does a fine job keeping it flowing.  that may change after i get the
hme card installed and we try moving 100Mbps across this thing.  but it works
fine as is.

-brian