[SunHELP] VSIMMS for SX framebuffer

Frank-Christian Kruegel sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 24 23:56:06 CST 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:55:57 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>ok, i've given up on this ZX framebuffer.  what a waste of a prefectly kick ass
>framebuffer.  what bunch of dorks is responsible for this madness over at SUN?
>
>ANYWAY, what is the big huge difference between the 4MB and the 8MB VSIMMS for
>the SX framebuffer?  will the extra 4MB really give me a huge speed increase?
>i ask, since i see some VSIMMS on ebay and the 8MB VSIMMS are going for 4x as
>much as the 4MB ones.

As you could guess, the difference is 4MB of video RAM. Nothing more. 1280x1024
won't work in 8+24bpp mode. Remember you have both an 8 bit and a 24 bit bitmap,
and this takes 4MB in 1152*900 and about 5 MB in 1280*1024.

Thats all. Speed is the same.

>ps: the SX is still supported by Solaris, right?? (it's a joke)

Yes. No joke.

mfg

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Krgel
IstDa Kommunikationssysteme