[SunHELP] What is the maximum length of a file name on Solaris 7?

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 24 17:28:31 CST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 11:51:18AM -0800, Adams, Christopher wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I really have just one question.  I know that the maximum length of a UNIX
> file name is related to the UNIX file system itself.  Does anyone know where
> I can get any good information on the maximum file name length for different
> UNIX file systems?
>
> What is the maximum length of a file name on Solaris 7?

$ cd /usr/include/sys/fs
[01/24/01 veblen at sinai veblen]
$ grep MAXNAM ufs*.h
ufs_fsdir.h: * The maximum length of a name in a directory is MAXNAMLEN.
ufs_fsdir.h:#define     MAXNAMLEN       255
ufs_fsdir.h:    char    d_name[MAXNAMLEN + 1];  /* name must be no longer
than this */
ufs_fsdir.h:    ((sizeof (struct direct) - (MAXNAMLEN+1)) +
(((dp)->d_namlen+1+3) &~ 3))
ufs_fsdir.h: * is MAXNAMLEN - 1, and this just won't do.

I believe this limitation holds for Linux's ext2 filesystem
and AIX's jfs as well.  Dunno about the others.

Regards,

Nick Dronen