[SunHELP] SSH

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 19 16:41:23 CST 2001

  As long as you're running OpenVMS v6.2 or higher check out David Jones' VMS SSH
client and server at: http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/~jonesd/ssh/ also requires SSLeay
at http://www.free.lp.se/

> >Well the reason I am not sure that this will work is because the
> >machine in question is running Open VMS as in OS.  I was told that
> >there was not an ssh daemon that could be compiled and ran on this
> >system.  That info might be wrong...does anyone know for sure?  Here
> >is a second question if I ssh from SystemA (house)  to SystemB(work)
> >and then telnet from SystemB to SystemC is my connection secure from
> >SystemA to SystemC?  Sorry if this an obvious question.
> >Shain
> >
> >Edward Chase wrote:
> <Tail snipped for brevity>
> Secure from whom?  It will be secure from outsiders.  However if you
> are truly paranoid(like me) your concern would be also be about
> internal sniffers, etc.  So your connection from A to C is secure
> from outsiders but not from your internal network.

 Short answer to the question "is A -> C secure?"... No. Telnet connections
are not encrypted, this is why there is a need for SSH. The SSH connection
from A -> B will enjoy whatever security SSH provides it, but from B -> C it
is just a standard, plain-text telnet session.
 As pointed out, if you trust your work network to keep outsiders out and if
you trust that everyone with access to your workplace network will not
violate your privacy then that may be enough for you.

 -david