[SunHELP] Veritas Weirdness

Marc Belanger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 18 19:57:58 CST 2001

Hello sunhelpers-

I am looking for a reasonably safe solution to a SEVM 2.5 abnormality.
It seems a striped plex was created, and the volume was created at a
smaller size. The difference is ~6GB. I am looking for a way to correct
the situation without having to rebuild the volume, and restore. I
understand it may be the only way to correctly fix the problem.

I have researched a bit and found I may be able to "grow" the volume by
adding 3 more disks, but I do not know what that will do to the plex.
Further, I'm not so sure I want to *start* slicing up whole 9GB disks.

Here's some */slightly snipped/* output:
*/ NOTE: some of this might be line wrapped at 72 chars, sorry /*

# uname -a
SunOS */snip/* 5.6 Generic_105181-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

# pkginfo -l SUNWvxvm
   PKGINST:  SUNWvxvm
      NAME:  Sun Enterprise Volume Manager
  CATEGORY:  system
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  2.5
   BASEDIR:  /

# vxprint -ht		*/relavent group anyway/*
v  xtra         fsgen        ENABLED  ACTIVE   41886720 SELECT
xtra-04
pl xtra-04      xtra         ENABLED  ACTIVE   52704000 STRIPE
3/128    RW
sd midg16-01    xtra-04      midg16   0        17568000 0/0
c6t20d1  ENA
sd midg17-01    xtra-04      midg17   0        17568000 1/0
c6t20d2  ENA
sd midg18-01    xtra-04      midg18   0        17568000 2/0
c6t20d3  ENA

# df -k			*/relavent fs/*
Filesystem             kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/vx/dsk/midg/xtra 20615385 18064179 1520437    93%    /xtra

# cat /etc/vfstab	*/again with the relavent stuff/*
#device         device          mount           FS      fsck    mount
mount
#to mount       to fsck         point           type    pass    at boot
options
#
/dev/vx/dsk/midg/xtra  /dev/vx/rdsk/midg/xtra  /xtra  ufs  3  yes  -

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed. I would be most interested in
knowing if there is an easier method of repairing the v/pl size
mismatch, especially if I will not cause an outage to do so. Any ideas
on how/why this happened would be helpful to prevent future occurances.
I am looking to know what will happen to v/pl if I was to try to grow
the volume.

I would not usually try to "fall forward", however, info on this
situation under Solaris 8 and VxVm 3.0.1 (or better) might be worth a
shot.

Thanks in advance,
-Marc