[SunHELP] Re: X Windows bandwidth Utilisation

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 16 12:11:39 CST 2001

> The bandwidth isn't all that great, the problem is latency.  An X session can
> require almost every packet to be acknowledged (this is highly application
> dependent).  We saw a (supposed) client-server application response time suffer
> by more than an order of magnitude when deployed over a WAN connection vs a LAN
> environment.  The T1 showed only about 5% bandwidth utilisation max - the
> problem was that the latency went from <10ms to >100ms due to the WAN
> connection.  There was an "animated" device on the application screen that some
> idiot programmer had set to refresh every 1/10th of a second, and that one thing
> just killed the throughput.  Oops.

sparc20 <-> 10base-T <-> T1 <-> who knows <-> ADSL <-> 10Base-T <-> sparc20

who knows is the internet, so who knows.
ADSL is 1.5Mbps/384Kbps.

using GIMP right now as we speak through the ssh X stuff (firewall in the way)
and it is actually usable.  not productive, but not painful either.

> Please post your mails as plain text, not as HTML, otherwise some of us won't be
> able to read them.

i'm teaching myself to automatically filter out HTML since you are wasting you
breath trying to get people to stop doing it.  half the time they don't even
know they are (Outlook is real nice about doing it even though you told it to
stop) and the other half the time; obviously don't care.

-brian