[SunHELP] Can't Open Boot Device

Frank-Christian Kruegel sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 15 03:47:19 CST 2001

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:27:09 +0530, you wrote:

>Hai,
>I am using a Sun solaris 2.6 here.  While system startup it gives "Can't Open Boot Device" and hangs in there.  When I chekced the "Printenv" I got the boot-device is assigned to  "disk0".  But still it does not boot from that device.   What could be done to resolve this, could you please help.
>
>PS : For a similar problem posted earlier you had replied with "try the luxadm command" .  This could only be possible once the system is comes up, is it not ?.
>
>My system here gives the cant open boot device messages and stays in the OK prompt.  Please help
>
>Best Regards

disk0 is only an alias for a real device. Type

  devalias

and look what disk0 really is. Maybe this is misconfigured.

Next: Type

  probe-scsi

and look if your boot device is there and has the correct id. (must be the same
as the devalias output /pci/... at 3 (for example, then it's id 3 that must be
present in the probe-scsi output, 3 is common for sun4c/sun4m machines, sun4u
machines use id 0)

Last: Boot from CD and try to mount your boot device.

Which machine type/model is it?

mfg

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Krgel
IstDa Kommunikationssysteme