[SunHELP] /var/crash question

Scanlan, Brian (5188) sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 10 11:29:45 CST 2001

Action 1 when you suffer from a hardware crash: Log a call with
precautionary call with Sun. Sun engineer will go through the crash
procudure with you.It's useful to have a call open so it takes a shorter
period of time to get
your CPU replaced / memory replaced if you've got a hardware problem etc.

It usually involves two scripts from Sunsolve, both extremely useful.

1. Explorer

Sun package that collects all useful information about your system,
summarises into a tar file.

2. iscda.sh

You run iscda on the crash dump, it summarises useful information.
http://sunsolve.sun.co
<http://sunsolve.sun.com/private-cgi/show.pl?target=resources/tools>
m/private-cgi/show.pl?target=resources/tools

If you really want, send me the iscda output within the next half hour and
I'll take a look at it
immediately.

The file in /var/crash is a core dump (memory dump of your system when the
crash happened).

Brian.