[SunHELP] /var/crash question

Adams, Christopher sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 10 10:42:53 CST 2001

------_=_NextPart_001_01C07B24.60DE89D0

I have one of my servers that is running Oracle 8.1.5 and for the past two
days the Solaris 7 E450 that it has been running on has been crashing
(system panic).  Each morning when I come in I see that the system is in a
"down" state.  I don't see anything showing this in /var/adm/messages or
/var/log/syslog, but I do see newly created files in /var/crash/unix.1
When I check to see what type of file this "unix.1" is I get this report:
ELF 64 bit executable SPARCV9 version1, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required,
statically linked, not stripped.

Can anyone tell me what is file is and if it is some sort of crash reporting
file how do I read it?

Thanks

P.S.  When checking for any information on a system crash I usually check,
/var/adm/messages, /var/log/syslog and /var/crash      Should I be checking
anywhere else?

Thanks All!

Christopher A.
Los Angeles, Ca.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C07B24.60DE89D0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>/var/crash question</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have one of my servers that is =
running Oracle 8.1.5 and for the past two days the Solaris 7 E450 that =
it has been running on has been crashing (system panic).  Each =
morning when I come in I see that the system is in a "down" =
state.  I don't see anything showing this in /var/adm/messages or =
/var/log/syslog, but I do see newly created files in =
/var/crash/unix.1    When I check to see what type of =
file this "unix.1" is I get this report:  ELF 64 bit =
executable SPARCV9 version1, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, =
statically linked, not stripped.</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Can anyone tell me what is file is and =
if it is some sort of crash reporting file how do I read it?</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">P.S.  When checking for any =
information on a system crash I usually check, /var/adm/messages, =
/var/log/syslog and /var/crash      Should I =
be checking anywhere else?</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks All!</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Christopher A.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Los Angeles, Ca.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C07B24.60DE89D0--