[SunHELP] Re: Sparc 10 video question

Gregory Leblanc sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jan 8 11:27:41 CST 2001

On 08 Jan 2001 04:39:28 -0800, Bob Minvielle wrote:
> Thanks to Greg for helping me out with this one.
>
> My keyboard cable does not work with this machine,
> and therefore it thinks there is no keyboard
> and goes to console. (hehe, I overlooked the obvious)
>
> Now a second question:
>
> This machine has a 50Mhz CPU with no cache.
> Is the upgrade to a 50Mhz w/1Mb cache worth
> it in terms of performance?

I think that a 50MHz SuperSPARC with no cache in that machine will run
at 40MHz, since the SS10 doesn't have a 50MHz Mbus speed.  The SM51
(50MHz SuperSPARC w/ 1MB Ecache) will run the Mbus at 40MHz, and the CPU
module at 50MHz.  So, the SM51 should be a bit faster, but not hugely
fast.  The SM81s are nice, but generally modules for these machines are
quite expensive for the performance offered.  :(  Of course, that
doesn't make them any less fun.

    Greg