[SunHELP] Network Peripherals FDDI SBus cards

Kevin Stevens sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 14:23:12 CST 2001

>>>You don't need a concentrator, and for only three machines it
>>>probably isn't worth the bother. to setup an fddi network as i
>>>know it, you will need to connect two sets of fibre cables between all
>>>the machines in two rings.
>>
>>That will work fine if the cards are DAS (dual attach).  However,
>>most workstation cards are SAS (single attach, with only one
>>attachment pair.  If the cards are SAS you can't build a ring with them,
>>you will need a FDDI "hub" to attach through.

>ok, these are all SAS cards (i've been reading up on what little i
>can about FDDI, hard to find good info online though, anyone know a good
>website of more admin kinda info and less network dweeb kinda info? i don't
>care about signalling, or how the frames are
>constructed, sure that is interesting, but it doesn't get this stuff
>plugged in and working.)

All you need to know about FDDI is that it is great and Ethernet sucks even
though it has taken over the world.  ;)  When you get the proper cabling the
thing will just start working, all the info about monitor stations and token
expiration and ring reversal you shouldn't need to deal with for your
situation.

>what is this "hub" called?  is it a MAU?  if i were searching on,
>say, ebay for one would i search for "FDDI MAU" and expect to get
>results?

Technically it's closer to a MAU, but they are generally called hubs or
concentrators - basically it's a "ring in a box" that injects and removes
loops for the stations you plug in.  On ebay I'd just search for FDDI.  ;)

KeS