[SunHELP] Netscape Problem Resolving URL's

Lund, Dennis sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 12:55:04 CST 2001

------_=_NextPart_001_01C07749.03C33D7E

I have a Sparc 5 running Solaris 8.  I have PPP set up and working to my
ISP.
>From command line I can ping and nslookup any site be URL.  However, when
I try to go to any URL in Netscape, Netscape can not find the server.  If I
use
the IP address in Netscape it finds the site.  Why is DNS working from the
command line but not in Netscape?

netstat -rn shows a valid "default route"
resolve.conf is setup
nsswitch.conf is setup

Can someone tell me what am I missing?

Dennis L. Lund
Dennis.Lund at sciatl.com

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The
information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain,
copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail
and delete it from your computer.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C07749.03C33D7E

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Netscape Problem Resolving URL's</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have a Sparc 5 running Solaris =
8.  I have PPP set up and working to my ISP.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">From command line I can ping and =
nslookup any site be URL.  However, when</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I try to go to any URL in Netscape, =
Netscape can not find the server.  If I use</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">the IP address in Netscape it finds =
the site.  Why is DNS working from the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">command line but not in =
Netscape?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">netstat -rn shows a valid =
"default route"</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">resolve.conf is setup</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">nsswitch.conf is setup</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Can someone tell me what am I =
missing?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dennis L. Lund</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Dennis.Lund at sciatl.com</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P>     - - - - - - -  Appended by =
Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - - =20
<BR>This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is =
confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. =
The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person =
responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the =
intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, =
print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If =
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender =
immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer. </P>
<BR>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C07749.03C33D7E--