[SunHELP] Disk Space

Roger Abi Chmouni sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 5 04:29:44 CST 2001

Dear Sir,

I am trying to free some disk space from my system.
I check the amount of disk space occupied by mounted
or unmounted file systems, directories by using the df
-k command.
I have a directory which is growing fast and I have
located the file that is causing the growth, thus I
have compressed that filez using 'compress filename'
command restarted my system. After this I have checked
the system using 'df -k' but the directory size is
still the same even though I have compressed the file
which was occupying 50% of the directory.
How can I free disk space and why the directory size
has not decreased.

Best Regards,

Roger