[SunHELP] headless booting woes

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 4 12:56:04 CST 2001

> Hi Brian -
> First did you do a boot -r after you removed the framebuffer?

yup.

> By plugging in your notebook or terminal you are satisfying the serial port
> hardware handshaking.
> I vaguely remember having to change something in the eeprom to fix that.  I'll
> see if I can find it in my old notes and get back to you.  I f you jumper pin 6
> to 20, that should temporarily solve it, I believe.

gotta set ttya-ignore-cd to true, and it will work.  looking at my sparc20 at
work (i will check all my SUN boxes at home as i set them up) this is also set
to false there as well.  i've never had to twiddle anything on any of the
Enteprise machines i've ever setup, and come to think of it, i don't think
i've ever done a headless SPARCstation before.  so what is the default setting?
is it false by default?  if so, this is something i think we would have seen
a lot more of pop up.  interesting.

> As for the FDDI cards, again you need to do a boot -r for the hardware to be
> recognized.  Worst case you might need a driver from the manufactuer.  For
> connecting all three machines together you will need a FDDI hub.

same here with the reconfigure.  i'll check Network Peripherals and see if they
have any info on their website (assuming they even have a website)

thanks everyone,

-brian