[SunHELP] VxVA - how to re-start a RAID-5 volume ?

Steffen Grunewald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jan 3 03:39:14 CST 2001

Hi all.

I've got a (perhaps only minor) problem with a RAID-5 volume.
This volume has 6 sub-disks distributed over 6 disks 73 GB each,
plus an additional log subdisk/plex.
Unfortunately, the firmware of the JBOD box failed and switched
3 disks off at the same moment. There was no traffic to the volume
at this moment, since it holds raw experiment data. (There should
have been no write traffic at all, and no read traffic besides
backup directory scanning.)
VxVM disabled the volume, which is OK.

I reset the box, all the disks are alive again now, and set the
disks on-line again (by re-moving the "Failing" attribute).
In vxva, the are light blue again, but the sub-disks stay gray,
and I don't find the switch to get them alive again.

What would be the correct way to tell VxVM that it should use the
sub-disks again, so the raid volume can be started again (without
data loss, of course) ?

Any hints are welcome.

Steffen, never trust the "ON" switch of a RAID system, if there's only
one
--
Steffen Grunewald ** GeoForschungsZentrum  Potsdam ** Projektbereich 2.2
Telegrafenberg E3 ** D-14473  Potsdam ** Germany / Duitsland / Allemagne