[SunHELP] Second Network Device

Adam Mazza sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jan 2 23:57:39 CST 2001

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Jeff Feller wrote:

> I've plumbed HME1 to start with, and that seems to bring up another device
> but it seems to me like it is the onboard one again.  It has the same
> ether address.  It shouldn't if it's another device, right?  Also, when I
> had it setup that way, it didn't work for me.

Sun's use the same MAC address for every NIC unless you go into the OBP or
use eeprom to change it. Normally this isn't a problem as long as you have
the NICs on seperate networks.

> First of all:  I assigned hme1 10.0.0.1 as the IP.  Then, I went on a
> machine outside the network and it acted like it was pinging the IP twice
> or something?  (ARGH, I wish I would have remembered what it did) .. I
> think at the end it said (DUP!) or something.
>
> My goal here is to setup the Netra as a firewall/fileserver type thing for
> my Windows workstations.  I have the 9.1 GB drive in the Netra so I wanted
> it as the fileserver for sure, but thought it'd be great as the router for
> the 10.0.0.X addresses since it will provide servers for 10.0.0.x as well
> as my 207.3.82.x subnet.

Sounds like you want to NAT the 10.0.0/24 behind the public address. If
this is the case, take a look at ipfilter, it will do this for you.

Adam Mazza