[SunHELP] Solaris 2.6 Memory Limitation

Magnus Abrante sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Feb 28 13:12:55 CST 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:23:05AM -0500, Naser Ali wrote:
> Hello Every one,
> Just recently some one on our project mentioned that the E10K  we have which
> has 16Gig of memory running Solaris 2.6, has the limitation of only 4 gig on
> the memory. Is that true with Solaris 2.6...?

Not really, or more like not at all, the kernel does not need to map in all
the memory in order to manage it, so Solaris 2.6 can support more than
4 GB memory, the limits here are more like how much memory you physically can
put into the box.

Well, a single process probably wont be able to map in/address more than 4GB
of memory, but you can have several separate 4GB processes resident at the
same time.

All of the memory can also be used for things such as filesystem cache,
since this does not reside in the address space of the kernel, same thing with
individual files which are mapped to the individual address spaces as needed.

Humm, did anyone follow that? the basic answer is anyway that you Solaris 2.6
do support more than 4 GB of memory. If you check with an application such
as top you can see how much memory the system has and how much which is
currently used, these will probably be more than 4Gb :)

        //Magnus Abrante
/* This is my opinion and not the one of my empolyer */