[SunHELP] mouse/kb connection

Steffen Grunewald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 16 03:05:19 CST 2001

On Thu 2001-02-15 (13:32), Scott Barter wrote:
> Two questions -
>
> Does anyone know if it's neccessary to shut off power before replacing a Sun
> mouse (where it plugs into the keyboard)?

No. If you change the mouse type (e.g. Sun optical vs. somebrand mech)
you X server *may* behave strangely. To be safe(r), pull the kbd cable,
replace the mouse, plug the kbd cable back in and respond "go" to the
PROMpt. You might even stop the machine temporarily (STOP-A --> go)

> Also would anyone have a good place to get a Sun mouse from? I have the old
> optical mouse but I'd like a "normal" mouse.

We have been using Logitech mice (mech ones) model M-CD9-8MD.
The problem would be the right interface (plug) I guess - it's very
similar to PS/2 plugs but not close enough.

Steffen
--
Steffen Grunewald | GFZ | PB 2.2 | Telegrafenberg E3 | D-14473 Potsdam
 email: steffen(at)gfz-potsdam.de | fax/fon: +49-331-288-1266/-1245