[SunHELP] Checklist of Sysadmin

Hatle, Steven J. sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 11:06:48 CST 2001

Here's a first approximation <grin> :

1) Be available 24/7 at users whim, via pager, cell phone, telephone or yell
across the cubes.

2) Make all the systems bigger/better/faster, but don't spend any money on
hardware/software/training.

3) Be an instant expert for management on technologies you haven't looked at
yet, but somebody heard about from a friend.

4) Know the language code:

"I know you're leaving, but.  .  ." as you are walking out means you won't
get home before midnight.

"IS can do that when the system is less active.  .  ." means you'll be
working at 2:30 in the morning, and users will still call from Europe and
Asia and complain they can't get their work done- but your boss is sleeping,
so that time still qualifies as "less active".

"I have a question about my PC at home.  .  ." means you'll spend a half an
hour explaining to the user why their 486 running Windows for Workgroups
isn't a good Internet browsing box. When you advise them to upgrade, they'll
say "But I paid a fortune for that box not that long ago. You're telling me
it's no good? It works just fine." Fight down the urge to say "Then why did
you ask?"

"We're kind of having a crisis" means that somebody else broke something,
and they're hoping you can pull their ass out of the fire somehow.

5) Come up with canned answers to dangerous questions. When some higher-up
asks "What's up with this Linux stuff?" you can save yourselves hours of
discussion and explanation by just saying "We have to run Solaris" - even if
you don't believe it. Later, when you install Linux (or your favorite flavor
of free *NIX) for something, you can take the credit for researching the
product and saving the company money.

6) Remember the prime danger in being an admin. When the systems are running
OK, they'll look at you and say "Everything's fine. What do we need him
for?" When things are broken, they'll say "Nothing works! What does this guy
do all day?" So- you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Lest you think me a bitter crab of a man who hates my job, I love what I do
and the company I do it for. Doesn't mean that I don't have "issues" with my
job from time to time <grin>

Sorry, don't have a resource for a real checklist of admin responsibilities,
but I just couldn't help myself.

Steve