[SunHELP] IP Routing of home network w. dialup Internet access

Bob C. Ruddy sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Feb 9 22:06:06 CST 2001

ipfilter will be all you need for this. it works very well.

Bob

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Michael Doyle wrote:

->To all,
->
->Does anyone have any pointers for me as to the tools I should
->use to route packets destined to and from the great wild world
->of the Internet from my home LAN (172.x.x.x is what I've set
->it to)?  I have a 20 (Sol. 8) and an IPC (SunOS 4.1.4), and my
->Internet access is PPP (aspppd, interface ipdptp0) dialup from
->the 20.  So the 20 would be the gateway/router.
->The ISP assigns an IP address to ipdptp0 each time I dial in.
->
->Is using the IPfilter package on the 20 sufficient for doing this?
->(I'm sure I'll be wanting to run IPfilter eventually to make the
->20 into my firewall, particularly since I have a 4.1.4 box running)
->What would I need to set up on the SunOS 4.1.4 box to have packets
->to/from the Internet routed through the 20 (and the 172.x.x.x
->packets remaining in my LAN)?
->
->Net, man page, and book searches have only shown me how this is
->done for nets with static IP addresses, using routed.
->URL's are quite welcome...
->
->Many thanks,
->