[SunHELP] Help with backup (was: using dd)

Edward Chase sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Feb 6 14:04:03 CST 2001

OK, I guess my method isn't quite what I was hoping for...

Here's my scenario, I've got a machine that will become critical to our
operations here and I need to have some redundancy and good backups.  I've
been working with Solaris and Linux for several years, but don't claim to
be a Unix guru.  Due to what I do know, I've been stuck at least for now
with administering the college's new administrative machine.  It will be
our Oracle/Banner machine.  These names might mean something to some of you.

Here's the machine's filesystem / disk layout.  I'm sure that some of you
may cringe at this, but I was not given any guidance as to how big
filesystems needed to be.  The machine has 2 18GB drives.  I have mounted
c0t10s0s0 as /, it's size is approx 17GB.  The other GB is swap.  Drive 2
(c0t11s0) is partitioned the same way.  My first thought was to mirror the
two 17GB partitions, but I can't because Solstice Disk Suite won't mirror
the / partition.  I also have an A1000 array with (12) 18GB drives in
it.  I have created a RAID 5 filesystem with 11 of the drives, reserving
the 12th as a hot spare using Raid Manager.  I have mounted this array at
/array1.  The Oracle installation is sitting on the A1000.  The OS is
solely on the first internal drive.

Now here's what I was thinking about backups.  (I've got a single DLT tape
drive at the moment.)  It's looking like I got about 1.5GB on the first
drive and 8GB on the A1000.  So no problem with the single tape drive.  I
want to do full backups every time for now.  Using ufsdump was
recommended.  Since it seems that I won't be doing mirroring, I was
thinking that I could create a snapshot of the / filesystem from the first
drive onto the second drive.  This is why I was thinking about using
dd.  Then I would backup the second drive and the array (after shutting
down the Oracle server and it's related other processes) to tape.  Once the
tape backup was finished, I'd have the Oracle server and it's related
processes start back up again.  This should all be done via a cron'd script.

Right now I'm not sure if this is the best way to go.  My dd command is now
at the 2 hour mark.

Any suggestions on how do deal with these backups?

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence, RI  02918   |