[SunHELP] $DISPLAY for root

David Ledger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 17 02:31:24 CDT 2001

The snippet is for ksh or a posix sh which should both understand
'$(<command>)' and '$((<arith-expr>))'

a Bourne or csh will give that error.

I did cut & paste from a working ksh script.  It could be translated
to csh, but not by me.  Havn't used it for nearly 15 years.

David

>From: "David Baldwin" <dbaldwin at networkinsight.com>
>
>I threw that snip in my /etc/profile but when I ". /etc/profile" I get a
>syntax error.  ( is unexpected.  I checked that they all match up
>properly but I can't find where the problem is.  I am working on my
>shell scripting but I am by no means good at it.  Is there something
>else that needs to happen first?
>
>Thanks for all the help
>Dave Baldwin

In a 'sh' derived shell you '.' for source, as David did.  'source'
is csh speak.

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of SysAdmin SIG of HP/Works technical user group