[SunHELP] Maximum users on a Solaris 2.6 server

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Apr 3 22:29:30 CDT 2001

Maxusers is a kernel parameter that affects processes, quotas
and the DLNC [1].  It does not affect the size of uid_t, which
is probably what you're hitting when you try to add a user
(presumably with useradd or admintool).  In fact, if you
look at the useradd man page (you don't say why you can't
add any more users, so I'm going on supposition), it says
that user ids must be "below MAXUID as defined in <sys/param.h>,"
which on my Solaris 8 system is 2147483647 (aka MAXUINT).

So, changing maxusers probably won't change the behavior
you're seeing, but you don't describe the behavior very
exactly, so I might be mistaken.  More detail about
the problem would help.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen

[1] http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.707.1/SOLTUNEPARAMREF/@Ab2PageView/1934?DwebQuery=maxusers&oqt=maxusers&Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1