[Sunhelp] Questions about getting a ZX card working under 2.7 on an SS10

Bill Bradford sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 30 20:09:19 CST 2000

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 04:34:07PM -0800, Mike Gracy (Ghost Rider) wrote:
> Here's the skinny about the machine:
> SS10/128mb ram/2.7/Dual 150mhz ross modules with Open Boot 2.25 Prom.
> I have a ZX card I would like to attempt to get running.  I understand that
> various people have had success and other no success.  What I need are the
> dev or driver files (I'm familiar, but not an expert with Solaris so I'm
> missing some vernacular) and the instructions on how to install said files.
> TIA

Basically you need Solaris 2.6 or earlier; the ZX/leo card isnt supported
after that.  Also, if you're running dual Ross 150s, I'd recommend adding some
cooling fans to your '10, and also keeping your hard drives external.  Running
all of that internal will quickly lead to SOMETHING dying, as the ZX runs
VERY hot.

You can get the SUNWleo* packages off a 2.6 CD and install them with
2.7 and then do a boot -r; it WILL work, but not very well - non-accelerated,
etc.  Do only as a "last case" scenario.  This is very unsupported and
not guaranteed to work.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford