[Sunhelp] IDE disks for Ultra10

Kyle Freestone kyle at rawah.co.larimer.co.us
Fri Oct 27 17:06:55 CDT 2000

SUMMARY
large IDE disks for Ultra5's & 10's
Well, the concensus is ... there is no concensus

After talking with Tech Support again concerning the OBP issue -vs OS version.
the fellow there said that some of the EARLY Ultra 10(5)'s didn't
recognize IDE disks larger than 8GB and that the OBP patch seemed to fix the
problem (current patch# 106121-13), even though (as Greg said) the patch doesn't
mention any bug-id's pertaining to large disks. He also said that he thought
that there was some fixes to the Solaris x86 OS for large IDE disks and they
 *might* of made some changes for the Sparc version as well - he wasn't sure
 and couldn't locate verification... either way.

CONCLUSION
since this system already recognized 9GB disks - I'm going to assume the
OBP version is NOT the problem and start by booting from a Solaris 8 10/00
CD and see if format recognizes the 30GB disk.  I'll then try the OBP patch
if Sol8 doesn't pan out.

thanks for all the input
and I'll let you know IF and WHAT works

kyle