[Sunhelp] slow le0 on SPARC10

Doug McLaren dougmc at frenzy.com
Fri Oct 27 11:40:09 CDT 2000

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 10:41:19AM +0100, Robert.Cross at scottish-newcastle.co.uk wrote:

| Hello, I've got a SPARCstation 10 here that I'm using for a bit of testing
| (e.g. kernel patches)
| and I've run into a funny problem with the integrated Ethernet.
|
| Put simply inbound traffic, (ftp's to the box, or ftp-gets on the box itself),
| work fine, but outbound
| traffic is extremely slow, (e.g. 0.5Kbps!!).
|
| This system is dual processor, 128MB RAM, and Solaris 2.6 3/98 (with the 9th
| October patch cluster
| installed). I've checked the settings of the network port it's attached to and
| it checks out at 10/full-duplex.

That's your problem.  Make it 10/half duplex.  Often auto-negotiation
doesn't work right, so force if 10/half duplex if you can.

The le0 interfaces don't support full duplex AFAIK.

Whenever you have a situation where you only get a small fraction of
the speed that your interface should be giving you, making sure that
everything is full duplex only if everything can support full duplex
should be your first step.

| This message is confidential.  It may also be privileged or
| protected by other legal rules.  It does not constitute an

Gawd.

---
Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com
`Commit a crime. When the police come over to dust for fingerprints have them
 dust the rest of the house too. You might go to jail, but it beats dusting.'
 - Ken's Deep Thoughts