[Sunhelp] editor

David Rouse drouse1 at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 27 11:27:31 CDT 2000

on 10/27/00 5:30 AM, Chanaka Mendis at chanakam at millenniumit.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have few dump terminals conected to a Ultra 250 ( Solaris 2.6).
> I need a editor that is capable of supporting 132 columns.(scroll)
> We cannot use vi editor b'cos it doesn't support scrolling in
> horizontally.
> whole 132 characters should appear in single line.

I don't think horizontal scrolling beyond the screen width is a function of
vi, I think it is a function of your terminal setup. You should be able to
tell your terminal what to do with long lines and what you want to do is
wrap them. I don't have my trusty Wyse hooked up right now, but I know I
have vi'd files with long lines before.

Now, as far as getting all 132 characters on a single line, well then you
would need a 132 mode for your terminal. But wrapping should work.

--
David "thanks, but I'd rather use vi" Rouse