[Sunhelp] NIS Doubt

Fletcher, Joe joe.fletcher at Metapack.com
Fri Oct 27 08:57:41 CDT 2000

Hi,

Generally you don't distribute root info via NIS ie the root entry is
removed from the passwd file distributed by NIS. Nothing to stop you
manually setting all the clients to have the same local root passwd tho'.

Cheers

Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Balaji srinivasan [mailto:chennai_dude at excite.com]
Sent: 27 October 2000 14:46
To: sunhelp, sunhelp
Subject: [Sunhelp] NIS Doubt

Hi Admins,
           I have a doubt in NIS. Pardon me if it's silly. We have some
servers configured with NIS. One master and several clients. My questions
are:

1. When a system gets itself registered as NIS client,how can I set the
passwd of ROOT to be the same as NIS master. In /etc/nsswitch.conf file
passwd : nis files is present.

2. Is it advisable to have the passwd of ROOT userid same as NIS master for
the clients?. If not how can I set unique ROOT passwords for the NIS master
and the clients.

Thanks,
Balaji

Unix Administrator