[Sunhelp] strange things happening, grantpt failed

Haiko Steuer haiko at physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 27 03:32:02 CDT 2000

Hello,

I have some strange problems with my sparc (SUN OS 5.5.1).

First NIS was not working because rpc did not start. The reason was a
missing executable permission for /usr/sbin/rpcbind. So I wondered
about and changed that. Now I can log in as user again, but ...

top is not working
top: cannot open /dev/kmem: Permission denied
kvm_open: Permission denied

openwin comes up with the message
fbconsole: grantpt failed

  I am not able to get any terminal, receiving instead messages like
  xterm: Error 1, errno 13: Permission denied
   or
  grantpt: No such file or directory
  XView error: NULL pointer passed to xv_set

  other programs (xload, file manager, ...) are displayed very well

What is happening here ?
Any ideas ?

  Haiko Steuer         Fon: 030 / 314-24253
      mailto:haiko at physik.tu-berlin.de
  http://wwwitp.physik.tu-berlin.de/~haiko/