[Sunhelp] Hung OS

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Oct 26 12:45:42 CDT 2000

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, AIS Katsuyoshi, Charles M. (Civ) wrote:

| I checked the /opt directory, and there was nothing in the directory, even
| though when I did the ufsrestore the feedback message confirmed that the
| ufsrestore had put something into the /opt directory.  I decided to tar the
| /opt directory from another server similar to the one I was attempting to
| restore and put that into the /opt directory. After populating the /opt
| directory, I tried booting again and still received the same error messages,
| so I then "tar"ed the /etc directory and put that into the /etc directory.
| When I did that and tried to boot, I ended up in an endless boot cycle.  I
| was able to break the boot cycle but could not get the computer to boot into
| single user mode.  I logged into the new command mode and changed the
| diag_switch? to max and did a reset.  When I tried to boot the computer it
| would run for a little bit and then just stop, I get nothing on the screen.
| The LED lights on the front of the computer indicate that the OS is hung.
| Is there anything that I can do to get out of this?  The server that I am
| using is an Enterprise 4500.

Can you boot into single user mode?

What do you mean when you say that you tar'd up /etc and put it into /etc?

Does /opt exist on it's own partition, or does it live on the /
filesystem?

You set diag_switch? to true or false only. It is diag_level that you set
to "max". That wouldnt be likely to help with your problem, though, as
that only presents low-level POST hardware checks and isnt relevant to the
OS.

/dale