[Sunhelp] Very strange telnet/rlogin/ftp error

John Lee johnlee at sc.mcel.mot.com
Thu Oct 26 06:07:49 CDT 2000

Hi all,

I encounted a very strange telnet/rlogin/ftp error today. Here is the
details:

(HostA is Solaris2.7, hostB is Solaris2.6)

hostA$ rlogin hostB
Protocol error, hostB closed connection.

hostA$ telnet hostB
Trying 1.2.3.4....
Connection to hostB
Escape character is '^]'.
connection closed by foreign host.

hostA$ftp hostB
connected to hostB
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

hostA$telnet hostB 25
"This is ok."

>From above, we can see user can't rlogin/telnet/ftp to hostB from hostA.

But user can rlogin/telnet/ftp hostA from hostB. Also user can first
rlogin/telnet other hosts(not hostB) from hostA, then rlogin/telnet/ftp
hostB.

In fact, Yesterday I could rlogin/telnet/ftp hostB from hostA. I don't know
why I can't today. I want to use snoop to track the problem but failed.

By the way, My netscape4.51 on hostA always hang up when I click the "New
Msg" button in the Netscape Mail window.

Is there anyone can give me some ideas/hints on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
John Lee